Protect your community and business against Legionaires’ disease outbreaks by monitoring water regularly for Legionella.
Columbia Laboratories now offers TNI accredited Legionella testing in water. Columbia Laboratories offers a suite of water and environmental testing, and Legionella testing is key to continuing to protect communities.
Should I test for Legionella?
Any water system, with the right environmental conditions, could be a source for Legionella bacteria growth. There is a reasonably foreseeable Legionella risk if your water system:
- has a water temperature between 20–45 °C
- creates and/or spreads breathable droplets, eg aerosol created by a cooling tower, or water outlets
- stores and/or re-circulates water
- likely to contain a source of nutrients for the organism to grow, eg rust, sludge, scale, organic matter and biofilms
The most common sources of legionella are in man-made water systems including:
There are also a number of other potential risk systems that may pose a risk to exposure to Legionella, eg humidifiers, air washers, emergency showers, indoor ornamental fountains etc.
Why test for Legionella Pneumophila?
Routine environmental sampling for Legionella is part of a proactive effort to reduce risk of Legionella growth and transmission in building water systems. It also validates the efficacy of water management programs.
- L. pneumophila causes 100% of deaths from Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks.
- L. pneumophila causes 97% of Legionnaires’ disease cases, based on data from cultures of 4,719 patients over 7 years in 17 countries.
- L. pneumophila is the most common species found in cooling towers.
- L. pneumophila is the only cause of Legionnaires’ disease cooling tower outbreaks.
How do I request testing?
Email: email@example.com with your inquiry
- CL will send you collection materials, paperwork and instructions.
- Submit samples to Columbia Laboratories.
- Pay $79.00 per test sample.
- Reports will be emailed to you in 8 business days.